Dr. Seuss is a classic, loved by many.

Dr. Seuss quote to live by! 

Who hasn't read a good Dr. Suess children's book? I know I have read many during my childhood. Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, and so many more. His books had been loved by many children across the United States. Schools still celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday and host different activities throughout that week. I remember one time in Elementry school my teacher fixing the class green eggs and ham and reading the story to us. What fond memories reading a Dr. Seuss classic. 
   
   How The Grich Stole Christmas made its appearance in 1957. It has been watched by millions and still appears today. It's one of my favorite movies to watch with my family during the Christmas season. It's not Christmas at my house till we watch it. The movie is full of meaning, and it takes a true author to tell a story like that. (Applause) 
    
    Dr. Seuss isn't actually a person's name. It's a pen name used by Author Theodor Seuss Geisel. He started writing under that name while attending Dartmouth College and The University of Oxford. He left Oxford in 1927 to begin his career in illustrations and cartoonist. He was even a  political cartoonist in the New York newspaper. Geisel published his first book during War World II in 1937 titled, And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street. 

    During the War, he worked in the animation department for the Army. He produced many films like Design for Death. Later it won the 1947  Academy Award for Documentary Feature. What great accomplishment?!

    After the war he started focusing on children's books, writing some of his classics. He published over 60 books during his career, which have spawned numerous adaptations, including 11 television specials, four feature films, a Broadway musical, and four television series. He won the Lewis Carroll Shelf Award in 1958 for Horton Hatches the Egg and again in 1961 for And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street

    March 2nd has been named Dr. Seuss day after Theodor Seuss Geisel's birthday and Read Across America Day. 

    Geisel also wrote under names like Theo LeSieg, Rosetta Stone, and Theophrastus Seuss. He began his career in 1927 and ended in 1990. On September 24, 1991, Geisel passed away at the age of 87, but his legacy lives on. Dr. Seuss children's books have reached over 600 million people, and have been translated into 20 different languages before he passed. 


Geisel in 1957, holding The Cat in the Hat

So let's be who we are and say what you feel. A good word from Dr. Seuss himself. If you'll excuse me, I'm traveling back in time to my childhood. Here's that copy of Cat In The Hat on my bookshelf.... 


~Justin D. Lambe






Sent with Mailtrack

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Barbara Bush

Oh, how I love snow days!