Surprising Book Facts


Happy Friday everyone! For some, it’s been the busiest most stressful week, and others not so bad. I know you’re looking forward to the weekend, so I’ll make my post brief today, as you make your weekend plans.
Here in Virginia, it looks like the wind is in everyone’s plans. Good book reading weather while you hear the wind howl. While browsing my Facebook feed this morning, I discovered something shocking. I wanted to share it with you and get your option.
Interesting, isn’t it? 70% of adults haven’t been in a bookstore the past five years. Wow! I’m like a kid in a candy store when I visit a Barnes and Noble or Books-A-Million. We have a local bookstore in my area, Chapter’s Bookshop, that I visit often. A shout out to Wendy and Sharon for keeping the shelves stocked with good books to read, and if you stop by their shop in Galax, Virginia, you’ll find my books there too. Let’s cover a few more shocking facts, shall we?
80% percent of US Families didn’t buy or read a book in the last year. Even when I was a child growing up, I didn’t like to read and wouldn’t unless it was a requirement for school. I’ve covered that in my previous blog post, I love to read now. My parents always encouraged me to read and would take me to our local library during the summer, and I’d visit my school library as well and check out a book or two. I know we live in a high-technological world today and everything is on a computer or tablet. I encourage people to read books that way because I have two Kindles of my own I read some on, but it doesn’t replace a physical book. The smell of ink on the pages; if that was a house fragrance, I’d buy a hundred bottles!
I see now-and-days, children playing more games than reading. Reading opens a whole new world and helps the child learn and grow. Books teach them things they need in life, jump-starts their imagination, and gets their minds working.
“Between The Pages of a Book is a lovely place to be”, isn’t that the truth? We get to take a trip to a new place we’ve never been before, just by reading. If you’re looking to take a trip somewhere, pick up a book and start to read.
When was the last time you gave a book as a gift? They make great gifts if it’s only a little short story book for a child. Books are great for all ages.
Have a great weekend everyone, and read that book that’s been on your shelves collecting dust. If you don’t have a book, download or order a copy of one of mine. Check them out here, Amazon





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Barbara Bush

Oh, how I love snow days!